Is text or images more effective in comics?

 As I have begun to re-read Maus in our English class, I have come to appreciate the complexities in Maus as I can delve deeper and deeper into the symbolism and appreciate the detail that Art was able to put into the images and text of the book. This appreciation made me wonder whether text or images are more effective in comics like Maus. While it is apparent that the visuals take more time and effort than most of the text, is it actually worth that investment of time? I think that the text is just supplementing Art's drawings and adding that extra bit to help you step into the world that Spiegelman is creating similar to how you can watch a movie without audio and still understand the gist of what is going on but the audio helps you feel that emotion. I can still see from someone else's perspective as to how they could have the understanding that the text is the essence of the comic and the images just fill in the details. As David Foster Wallace said, "The only thing that's true is that you get to decide how you're going to see it." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The life of a schadenfreudist

What makes a monument a monument?