What makes a true patriot?
The founding fathers of America were great people brave enough to fight against the injustices of Great Britain. However, have we followed the path paved for us by our forefathers? Is the current state of America the true American spirit? So soon after the horrifying days of 9/11, Chinese factories were "working overtime to fill the consumer demand for American flags," and Britney Spears took a break from her live show "to sit on a piano bench with her belly ring glinting in the spotlight and talk about 'how proud I am of our nation right now.'" Is this truly what America represents? Nay! We mourned as we shed tears as American as the ground we tread. While the country was horrified, large corporations were looking solely toward possible profits. As Samuel Adams once said, “If ever the time should come, when vain & aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.” So what makes a true patriot? What, to the American, is true patriotism? Could a true patriot be an American who stands by America no matter what crimes she commits, could it be someone who is there during America's darkest or best times? In the words of Sarrah Vowell, I say: "The true American patriot is by definition skeptical of the government."
I really liked your piece. It has a very interesting take on what patriotism is for the American people. I feel that your final thought-the American patriot is by definition a skeptic of the government- is particularly relevant, especially in today's political climate.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting blog! I especially like your use of rhetorical questions throughout the piece, and how that works with the somewhat conversational tone. Also, the title, "What makes a true Patriot" is a very good hook.
ReplyDelete