The Life of a Masochistic Physics C Enjoyer (not for long)
When I say “Physics C is fun,” people look at me like I’m some sort of crazy masochist who enjoys suffering. While they may be right, I still feel like I have a firm grasp of Physics C and can make connections to real life.
For example, Physics has a loose connection to the concept of “fate.” According to Isaac Newton’s laws of motion, every action must have an equal and opposite reaction. You could say this also applies to life. In Oedipus Rex, when Oedipus kills his father and marries his mother, albeit unknowingly, he too must pay the price for his actions through the suffering of his people. I swear I’m not going crazy.
In Physics C, we are stuck with challenging problems that make us want to either give up on Physics for the rest of our lives and never touch a textbook again or straight up jump off a cliff to calculate the final velocity of our falling bodies. I believe it is reasonable to surmise that Oedipus feels the same about his situation after learning about what happened to his biological parents and the twisted fate that trailed behind him.
I also believe I am in a similar situation to Oedipus’. I had the hubris to enroll in Physics C and, second of all, think that I am doing well in the class. Throwing caution to the wind, I took Physics C and Calculus at the same time without ever having taken a Precalc course. Oedipus, on the other hand, believes himself to be the sole savior of Thebes. He considers himself the true king and the hero who saves everyone from the plague.
(This is totally not a reach)
Comments
Post a Comment