10 books

Contrary to popular belief, I do know how to read and enjoy it. For me, whenever I make lists of shows/movies to watch I always end up forgetting about them until the day somebody reminds me that I need to watch them. Hopefully, this list doesn’t end up turning into that. So without further ado, here's 10 "books" I plan to read in the next 10 years in no particular order.


Having slipped past my reading for several years, 1984 is one of the most talked about works of literature that I have yet to read. From Jay's constant references to it in his horrible political takes to Kaeshav's witty remarks on it, I don't have even the slightest clue what it's about (I'd like to go in blind).





Ah yes. Another George Orwell book I haven't read yet. Maybe this will be a recurring theme. Maybe not. Unlike 1984, many of my friends have not read Animal Farm. It seems to eternally be on everyone's "to-read" list and never on anyone's "have-read" list. All I know is communism. What could go wrong?





Now this I have heard a lot about. According to Hajra's "nerd homework" list, it's pretty good. It's been referenced nonstop in pop culture so it clearly is good. It also has 6 books in the series so I'll be in for a fun ride. Beyond that, there's not much else I need to know to think it's worth reading. 



Similar to George Orwell's dystopian societies. Fahrenheit 451 is about a dystopian society where censorship runs rampant and books are burnt. Inspired by Nazi Germany????







I've had a copy for almost a decade and never ended up reading it. It teaches the art of balancing mental health and work and is overall a timeless (section of an) epic.













To be completely honest, my whole inspiration for reading this is the epic trumpet solo that opens up The Inferno (the first part of the trilogy of the Divine Comedy)













A classic Shakespearean play, Hamlet has been on my to-read list for many years. Within are lessons of family, love, betrayal, generational trauma, and personal failures. It is undoubtedly a necessary read.

Beyond anything else, the cover caught my eye for years. The idea of turning into a bug just creeps me out so I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to continue reading beyond that point.










As a warning against what might have happened had misogynistic ideologies taken over and rewritten the world, The Handmaid's Tale is a critique of power being welded unfairly. Women's lives are dictated around their duties towards men. Interestingly enough, Atwood only wrote about events or practices that had already occurred in the past.

 Idk. It's a classic. Gotta be good for a reason I guess.
P.S. I like to go into my books blind so no spoiler, please. Don't even tell me what the books are about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The life of a schadenfreudist

Is text or images more effective in comics?

What makes a monument a monument?